Just Us Girls

Just Us Girls

...one SMC's adventures in single motherhood.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

We made it!

Day number one, at least! Yesterday was my first day back at work, and you know, it wasn't half bad. Much to my surprise! I seriously didn't sleep at all the night before, what with worrying how the school day would go--a lot has changed schedule-wise from the time I left--and how K would do with her babysitter. So I was functioning on pure adrenaline alone throughout the day...but we still made it through! I didn't cry when (or after) I left her with M, her babysitter, and I didn't even cry after I had picked her up at the end of the day, which I fully expected I'd do. I was just so relieved to have her back in my arms, and to have her to myself for a lovely long weekend. One thing I've come to experience for myself is the incredible, overwhelming bond I feel with my daughter...people talk about it, but you really can't understand it till you feel it in real life. I've never loved anyone like I love K...and I feel so blessed to be able to experience it! I know it's cliched, but I would do anything for her, I would take a bullet for her without thinking twice, and she is truly the light of my life.

K did pretty well overall. I wasn't sure how much milk to leave with M, and I did bring a little extra, thinking it would be better to have a little too much than not enough. She didn't drink that much at a time, only about two ounces or so, which surprised me, but of course it's hard to figure out how much a baby is taking in when you're nursing full-time. But as time goes by I'll have a better idea of how much milk to send with K. I did bring an extra outfit, but it turns out it wasn't enough since she ended up having TWO blowouts! I was so embarrassed! But that's how it goes sometimes with a six-week-old, I guess. M didn't seem to mind, and we both agreed that I will need to include at least two outfits in her diaper bag. Hopefully she won't need those every day with M. But as they say, it's better to be safe than sorry. M's two kiddos, Griffin, who is three, and Gwyneth, who is 14 months, had a great time with K...especially Griffin, who is old enough to appreciate the presence of another baby. I'm starting to relax a little about the whole idea of leaving K with someone else...I'm not gonna lie, it was hard yesterday. I thought about her all day, which I know is completely normal. And I have a full work week this week, so we'll see how that goes. Mom flies in this Thursday afternoon...she'll be with K from Friday the 23rd through Friday the 30th while M and her hubby are on a cruise. I am seriously counting down the weeks until May 28th, when school ends and summer vacation begins!

The school day yesterday went well, too...the kids were glad to see me, and I got quite a few hugs throughout the school day. My colleagues were also glad to see me, which was heartwarming! I've always said I work with the greatest people ever, and yesterday was no exception. The biggest change was that this last quarter of the school year, I have to travel among four different classrooms with all my supplies on a cart. NOT fun, but completely do-able. I feel for my friend L, who is *hugely* pregnant with twin boys...she had to travel last quarter, and I'm glad she can stay put in one classroom for the rest of the year. Next year we will all have our own classrooms again, so no more traveling with carts and no more big offices for each content area (picture ten teacher desks along with bookshelves and filing cabinets crammed into one classroom!). We've enjoyed the camaraderie and discussions for sure, but when it comes right down to it, no one wants to travel on a cart. I've been switched from teaching sixth grade to teaching seventh grade next year...disappointing, but I've taught seventh for quite a few years in the past, and I'll get to work with a great team of folks next year. Honestly, I'm just glad I have a job.

So...now I'm off to enjoy my weekend with my sweet girl and gear up for the busy week ahead!


  1. Glad to hear everything is going well. I was thinking about you on Friday...good luck with your full week next week.

  2. Yay, I'm so glad your first day back went well for you and for K. You are very lucky to have a close friend to care for K. I will need to find somebody to come into our home or fork over mega bucks to put our girl in a registered child care facility, which quite frankly makes my tummy churn.
    Hope you had a great weekend!