Just Us Girls

Just Us Girls

...one SMC's adventures in single motherhood.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lactation shmactation

Well, things are getting better on the milk-making front. The Fenugreek seems to be helping, and every day I've been able to pump more (at work) than I did the day before. Not sure whether I'll be able to avoid supplementing during the upcoming week (four more days of school!), but at the very least it won't be the end of my milk supply. We're still able to nurse quite well at home, thankyouverymuch. It's the pumping that's so hard to keep up with. She drinks up to 16 ounces while I'm at work, and pumping that much every day on top of nursing full-time is challenging, ever since I used up my frozen stash. I think things will be just fine once I stop pumping for the summer. I know I'll still pump occasionally, but it won't be a daily thing, thank goodness. I'm so relieved that this doesn't spell the end. I'm not ready to stop, and neither is K.

I'm really looking forward to hopping on a plane next month with K and heading to New York for the summer! I keep making mental notes of stuff I want to bring...now I just need to buy a big honking suitcase to carry it all in! Sadly, not much else to report right now...I'm just trying to hold on till Thursday, the last day of school. Wednesday is the kids' last day, and teachers have one final day, Thursday, to pack it in and tie up all the loose ends. I. Can't. Wait.

2 comments:

  1. I stopped pumping at work during my last week before break because my schedule was crazy and I was just a little tired of my friend the breast pump. My supply has started slowing too. I decided to go ahead and pump again this morning while she was napping and I think I might start that as a routine. I hadn't planned on pumping over the summer, but if it helps my supply, then I might.

    I can related to the sadness. I have a very unhealthy emotional attachment to my milk and am not ready to stop nursing yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in the home stretch now!! Glad for you that you'll still be able to nurse...

    ReplyDelete