Just Us Girls

Just Us Girls

...one SMC's adventures in single motherhood.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

And so it begins...

I had a very positive appointment with my RE yesterday, and it's starting to feel real that I'm going to go forward with this three-month stint of "trying". The three months are early September, October, and November, and this is my (short) window because I really want to time a pregnancy for a summer delivery while I'm out of school. If it doesn't happen during those three months, I'll reevaluate and see what I want to do next. It's definitely not an all-or-nothing deal. When I conceived K, it was on my third medicated iui. So I think it's possible. A slim chance, but still possible.

So The Plan will involve Fem.ara, pre-insemination ultrasounds to check the state of my follicles, trigger shots, and something new this time: injectibles. He also mentioned that if I so desired, I *could* do another HSG test, which apparently does increase fertility for a short period of time. That may have helped my previous success, apparently. Plus my RE did mention that his office now has new payment plans for those of us paying cash. My insurance plan does cover all diagnostic treatment, but nothing related to the inseminations themselves. But I'm prepared for that reality. And it's kinda nice to know that my financial stress related to this "try" won't last much beyond November. It was interesting to find out that during the cycle in which I conceived K, I only had one good follicle. Which I guess I knew at the time, but to hear it again from my RE really drove it home. But it was a really good follicle, apparently. All it takes is one, right? Something else I'm considering is acupuncture. I have NO idea how to find a good acupuncturist here, since as far as I know, no one I know has ever had acupuncture. It's worth asking about, I suppose. Falls into the can't-hurt-might-help category.

One surprising detail my RE mentioned is the statistic that in women my age (41), 90 percent of their eggs are chromosomally abnormal. What a depressing statistic! And a little hard to believe, considering how many pregnancies in 40+-year-old women I've read about. Successful pregnancies that result in real live take-home babies. Maybe it's true, I don't know. My goal is to put that out of my mind (or attempt to do so, anyway) and give September through November my all. I've concluded that even though I still go back and forth about the wisdom of having a second child, I'm happy I'm going forward with this and at least giving another pregnancy a try. Even if it doesn't succeed. Maybe God has other plans for us. :)

6 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you. Don't believe statistics - you are one very individual person - and the one good egg you had before was clearly fabulous - so all you need is one more good one! Ask around for a good acupuncturist - if in doubt try one who is chinese and trained in china! - be cautious with any herbs they suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that statistic sounds horrible, but I find it hard to believe, too. But, on a positive note, I'm really excited you have a plan in place! I did Femara and injectables for my last two IUI cycles, and found it a very easy regimen, with minimal side effects. I hope the same holds true for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's a depressing stat, but never mind that, seems to me we've already beat the odds. If all works well for the both of us, we could be prenatal buds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had only 1 good follicle when I conceived Elena. Very best of luck in your up coming tries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you! good luck with the process. You've got "balls", girl!!

    I also wanted to let you know I've been reading your blog this whole time, just not commenting lately. AND the new photo of your girl is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little girl is a cutie! Do all teachers do this whole trying for 3 months in order to time delivery for next summer thing? I'm going to have my first IUI in about 2 weeks (only trying for august, september, and october). Wishing you luck, who knows maybe we will be pregnant together!

    ReplyDelete