Just Us Girls

Just Us Girls

...one SMC's adventures in single motherhood.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I knew it was coming...

Had my first OB appointment today (Tuesday), and I had to smile when the nurse asked, "So is the father going to be involved in this pregnancy?" What I wanted to say was, "Well, considering I've never met the guy..." But I just explained that I used an anonymous sperm donor, and left it at that. I think that overall it puts a bit of a different spin on things.

I think she was surprised by how much I know about my donor, genetically and otherwise. I know that the only main health issue, if you can call it that, is that he has battled hayfever, and used to be asthmatic but apparently grew out of it. Both asthma and hayfever have shown up in other members of his family. He and his wife had a first baby who was stillborn due to a herniated diaphragm, but then went on to have two healthy daughters, maybe more, I don't know. They did struggle with infertility for five years (her side), but he himself has never been diagnosed with any infertility issues. His maternal grandmother and both of his paternal grandparents were smokers, and as such, dealt with emphysema and other smoking-related illnesses. He himself is not a smoker or a drinker, and he doesn't drink coffee either. Yes, I know he could very easily have lied to the sperm bank interviewers, but based on other comments as to why he chose to donate (primarily due to their five-year struggle to have their first child and wanting to help other couples in the same boat), my instincts tell me that he was being honest at the time. I was glad that I was able to answer all of the questions she asked me about his genetic history, based on what I've read in his long profile.

Believe it or not, I have my second OB appointment tomorrow! I still can't believe they were able to get me in so soon. Not that there's any kind of a rush on things, but it's nice to get things moving. The sooner I can get to that first ultrasound, the better. Apparently tomorrow I can expect to be poked and prodded and such, and I also get to meet The Man (my new OB), someone who has been raved about by three different doctors I've worked with as well as pretty much everyone who works in the office. I've already identified a receptionist-person whom I DO NOT LIKE because she completely ignored me TWICE when I came up to the desk to turn in my initial paperwork. She was sitting directly in front of me, there was obviously no one else available to even acknowledge me, and she literally did not even look up at me when I was obviously attempting to patiently wait my turn. I mean, I do understand being busy with a task for a MOMENT or two before looking up and acknowledging a patient standing directly in front of you, but that was ridiculous. Crappy customer service, if you ask me. So I went back to the waiting room and thought to myself, "FINE, when they need this paperwork, they'll just have to come to me." And it all worked out in the end. No co-pay today, which was the icing on the cake. There will be tomorrow, though. I was also a little surprised that I'll have to do a urine sample before each and every appointment, which made perfect sense once they explained it to me. I guess modesty is going to be a thing of the past from here on out. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment